German Shepherd Shampoo Brands
Sometimes, the natural oils in a German Shepherd’s coat make it smell bad and have an unhealthy coat. Therefore, you should always use the best shampoo for a German Shepherd when bathing it.
But how do you know the best GSD shampoo brand? Let’s find out all about bathing a GSD and some of the top German Shepherd shampoo brands you can buy.
How Often Should You Bathe a German Shepherd?
Bathing your German Shepherd too frequently is not advisable, even with specialty dog shampoos. However, you can give it extra baths if they have a medical shampoo and an underlying skin condition. But unless your dog is really dirty, bathing it once every month or two is usually fine.
Additionally, we advise bathing your GSD only when it does not pass the hug test. So, it’s always time for shampooing and bathing your dog if it smells so awful that it turns your head and nose away when you cuddle them.
Notably, bathing this dog breed so seldom may seem strange. However, dogs naturally create oils that maintain the integrity of their skin and coat, and regular bathing can strip away these natural oils, leading to dry, flaky, itchy skin and a dull coat.
How to Bathe a German Shepherd Dog
Bathing your German Shepherd should be an enjoyable experience for you and your pet. However, it is advisable to bathe them outdoors because the process can get messy sometimes. Most GSDs always give themselves a vigorous shake to eliminate excess water. Nevertheless, following these steps can make the process effective:
- Ensure your dog’s undercoat is entirely saturated by thoroughly soaking it in warm, clean water. Remember, shampooing dry fur is ineffective and may prolong the time it takes to bathe your dog. Additionally, this dog breed has water-repellent fur and a dense undercoat. So, use an appropriate grooming brush to massage their fur and let the water penetrate the skin.
- Apply and lather the German Shepherd shampoo. Next, rub it in through their coat softly but completely to ensure it distributes evenly. Also, ensure the shampoo stays out of your GSD’s eyes and ears to prevent discomfort or infections.
- Depending on the type of shampoo, you may need to keep it in for up to three minutes. So, be mindful of how long your shampoo takes to operate, especially if it contains medication for troublesome skin.
- Rinse the shampoo using clean water until it all comes off. Remember, if left on the hair, it can attract more dirt and produce dandruff.
- Dry your GSD using a big, absorbent towel, moving toward hair growth to prevent discomfort. If you don’t, your dog will just roll in the dirt to dry itself, making all your hard work in vain!
- While your Shepherd is wet and drying off, keep them warm and avoid exposing them to breezes, especially puppies and older dogs that are more sensitive to temperature changes. Furthermore, an excessively damp coat might harbor microorganisms on the skin, aggravating pre-existing skin conditions. So, always smoothen their fur with an undercoat rake or wide-tooth comb to speed up drying. To reduce the risk of over-drying the skin or aggravating irritation, towel dry its coat rather than blow-drying it.
Notably, giving your Shepherd a warm water rinse without shampoo is also advisable if they’re dirty from playing in the mud or taking a long walk and you can’t smell anything. In such a situation, use fresh water and a grooming brush to remove any entrenched dirt and loosen dead hair from their fur. Afterward, dry your GSD off with an absorbent towel.
Types of Dog Shampoo for German Shepherds
Sensitive Skin Shampoo
To reduce inflammation, many GSDs with sensitive skin require specific shampoos. These dogs need special consideration when choosing shampoos, as some of the shampoo ingredients may cause allergies in them. So, avoid harsh ingredients while searching for shampoos for them.
When in doubt, look for items with the designation “hypoallergenic.” Once more, it’s a good idea to give your dog a patch test and wait 24 hours before applying a new shampoo, particularly if they have sensitive skin issues.
Some GSD shampoos have ingredients recognized to be good for the skin and coat health. Even though these ingredients might not be able to completely treat or alleviate your dog’s irritated or inflamed skin, they can at least lessen your dog’s suffering. Moreover, it is acceptable that these advantageous ingredients are safe to use in your dog’s bath.
Here are some beneficial ingredients commonly found in dog shampoos:
- Oatmeal: Soothes itchy, irritated skin and coats.
- Aloe vera: A natural moisturizer that helps hydrate skin.
- Salicylic acid: Helps exfoliate dead skin cells and clean pores. Suitable for dogs with flaky or oily skin.
- Chlorhexidine: An antiseptic that helps inhibit bacterial growth on the skin and coat. Useful for minor cuts or infections.
- Benzoyl peroxide: Helps eliminate yeast and bacteria on the skin that can cause infections or odors.
- Tea tree oil: Has antimicrobial effects to help combat skin issues caused by bacteria and fungus.
- Shea butter: Moisturizes dry, cracked skin.
- Glycerin: Attracts moisture to the skin and coat to prevent drying.
- Ceramides: Help restore and maintain the skin’s natural moisture barrier.
- Colloidal oatmeal: Soothes irritation and inflammation while relieving itching.
- Honey: Has natural enzymes and antimicrobial properties that soothe and protect dog skin.
- Coconut oil: A very effective moisturizer that helps detangle and deodorize.
Your German Shepherd may benefit from medicated shampoos if they have ongoing skin problems. These skin conditions can include:
- Common dandruff
- Constant itching
- Dry, flaky skin
- Environmental allergies
- Hot spots
- Seasonal allergies
Typically, medicated shampoos have antimicrobial, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. They also have extra calming components to help your dog’s healthy skin, such as fatty acids, oats, or aloe vera.
For maximum effects, use a medicated shampoo with cleansing and therapeutic qualities twice in the same sitting. It is necessary to leave the shampoo on for a few minutes after the second application for the active components to be fully absorbed and achieve suitable levels in the deep cellular layers.
This duration varies from five to fifteen minutes, depending on the dog shampoo you choose, the concentration, the kind of base, and the general skin health of your dog. After that, cleanse the skin and fur for at least five minutes to help the skin stay moisturized and prevent inflammation.
However, please take your German Shepherd to the vet if shampoos and other skin treatments aren’t working.
Our Favorite Dog Shampoo for German Shepherds
Our best shampoo for GSDs is Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo. This shampoo combines regular grooming and medicated effects. It can effectively relieve your pet from an inflamed scalp, treat greasy or scaly skin and rashes, and moisturize your dog’s skin.
Lastly, it is compatible with topical flea and tick treatments.
A Quick Overview of Our Picks
|Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo||Treating parasitic skin infections||-Veterinary-grade chemicals|
-Compatible with topical flea and tick treatments
-Paraben, dye, and soap-free
|Paws & Pals Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo and Conditioner Combo||Hydrating and relieving a dry, itchy skin||-It comes as a combo (shampoo and conditioner)|
-It is paraben and toxic-free
-It contains natural and organic ingredients
|Arava Natural Medicated Dog Shampoo||Treating dermatological ailments||-28 active ingredients|
-Dead Sea minerals
|FURminator Deshedding Shampoo for Dogs||Reducing shedding||-Paraben and chemical dyes-free|
-Contains calendula and papaya leaf
-It has omega 3 and 6 fatty acids
|4Legger Certified Organic Dog Shampoo||Reducing itchiness and dryness||-All-natural and hypoallergenic|
|Burt's Bees for Dogs Oatmeal Dog Shampoo||Soothing and softening skin and coat||-Sulfate and paraben-free|
|Vet's Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo||Managing allergies||-Veterinarian-formulated|
|HyLyt Soap-Free Cleansing and Moisturizing Shampoo||Supporting skin and coat health||-Soap-free|
-Essential fatty acids
|TropiClean 2-in-1 Papaya & Coconut Dog Shampoo and Conditioner||Best two-in-one dog shampoo||-Paraben and dye-free|
-2-in-1 formula (shampoo and conditioner)
|Buddy Biscuits Wash 2-in-1 Shampoo for Dogs||Regular grooming||-2-in-1 formula (shampoo + conditioner)|
-Natural herbs and oils
-Free of harsh ingredients
Reviewing the Best Shampoos for GSDs
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo: Best for Treating Parasitic Skin Infections
About This Product
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo can effectively treat a dog’s skin scaling from fungal, seborrheic, and other parasitic illnesses.
You can relieve your pet from an inflamed scalp, rashes, and greasy or scaly skin by shampooing it two to three times per week initially and then less frequently as the skin improves.
Also, this topical bottle of shampoo for dogs has veterinary-grade chemicals that can moisturize and heal your dog’s skin, including
- Colloidal oatmeal
- Salicylic acid
- Tarmicronized sulfur
You can use this shampoo with other topical flea and tick treatments on dogs. It is also ideal for animals whose skin is yeasty.
- Brand: Veterinary Formula
- Material type free: Paraben, dye, and soap-free
- It is fast-acting, relieving your dog’s skin discomfort faster than other shampoos.
- According to some Amazon customers, this shampoo is unscented.
- Others claim that it can cause welts (raised red bumps) on the skin of some allergic dogs.
Paws & Pals Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo and Conditioner Combo: Best for Hydrating and Relieving a Dry, Itchy Skin
About This Product
Paws & Pals Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo and Conditioner Combo leaves your GSD’s coat detangled, deodorized, and conditioned thanks to its delicate combination of vitamins and essential oils, a basis of a veterinarian-recommended coat care regimen.
It is also one of the best shampoos and conditioners for German Shepherds because it has oatmeal, which hydrates and relieves dry, itchy skin. It also cleans, deodorizes, and softens your pet’s coat, in addition to relieving hot spots, dry skin, and allergy problems.
Additionally, it contains organic components like pro-vitamin B5 and all-natural ingredients like aloe vera. These ingredients help to hydrate, heal, and shield the skin and coat of your pet.
Regarding the conditioner, it has shea butter, which is well-known for soothing skin and balancing natural oils in skin and hair. Also, similar to the accompanying shampoo, it aids in moisturizing and relieving irritated skin.
This vegan and soap-free product has natural oils, vitamins, and extracts that make it tear-free. So, your dog’s eyes and nose won’t become irritated or inflamed, making bath time enjoyable for your GSD.
- Brand: Paws & Pals
- Shea butter, aloe vera, and rosemary
- Aloe vera, rosemary, and oatmeal
- Material type free: Paraben-free, toxic-free
- It smells nice without having a strong chemical odor, making it ideal for GSD owners who dislike strong scents.
- Some Amazon customers use these products instead of vet prescriptions for dogs’ itchy skin, thus saving vet costs.
- It is ideal for GSDs living in dry climatic regions that cause flaky skin because the conditioner moisturizes the dogs’ skin after a bath.
- Some Amazon customers complain that the conditioner turns watery and unusable after a week or so.
Arava Natural Medicated Dog Shampoo: Best for Treating Dermatological Ailments
About This Product
Arava Natural Medicated Dog Shampoo, which features superior Dead Sea minerals, is ideal for treating skin irritations and issues. This medicinal shampoo for pets can treat dermatological ailments. It aids in the restoration of health following a variety of skin issues.
Potent plant oils are among the 28 active ingredients in this pet shampoo that combat most skin conditions that indoor and outdoor pets may contract. These ingredients include pomegranate, kelp, reishi, rosemary, aloe vera, chamomile, and fennel. However, if your GSD is allergic to any natural elements in this shampoo, do not use it.
The unique Dead Sea minerals in this shampoo provide a deep wash and nourish healthy skin while also helping to relieve
- Hot Spots
- Scrapes (minor wounds caused by friction and characterized by superficial damage to the skin)
Lastly, this silky, pH-balanced, and moisturizing oatmeal shampoo is ideal for all dog life stages.
- Brand: Arava – Dead Sea Pet Spa
- Scent: Light, fresh scent
- Material type free: Toxic-free
- It has a lasting scent that keeps your GSD smelling fresh for a long time.
- Some Amazon customers comment that it leaves their dog’s fur softer and fluffier than other brands.
- Some Amazon customers find it more expensive than other GSD shampoos.
- Others claim that it is too watery, and they use a lot of it, making its usage expensive.
FURminator Deshedding Shampoo for Dogs: Best for Reducing Shedding
About This Product
The FURminator Deshedding Shampoo for Dogs lowers excessive shedding by reducing loose hair on the dog’s coat. It is also one of the best deshedding shampoos for German Shepherds because it has omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, calendula, and papaya leaf extracts that:
- Improve skin hydration by supporting the lipid barrier.
- Reduce inflammation that can lead to dry, itchy skin.
- Support regeneration of skin cells.
- Improve coat shine and texture.
- Ease skin disorders like dandruff.
It is advisable to use it once a month as part of your at-home grooming routine. Also, you can use it with a FURminator conditioner for optimal results.
- Brand: FURminator
- Material type free: Paraben-free, chemical dye-free
- Some Amazon customers claim that it has a mild scent, allowing them to stay close to their dogs, thus improving bonding.
- Others claim it can cause canine hair loss due to follicle infections.
4Legger Certified Organic Dog Shampoo: Best for Reducing Itchiness and Dryness
About This Product
4Legger’s Certified Organic Dog Shampoo comes from all-natural, pure, and United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)-certified ingredients. Also, it does not contain artificial thickeners, making it concentrated to lather easily. Additionally, it can condition your GSD’s fur naturally, saving you the cost of buying a conditioner.
This shampoo maintains a healthy dog’s coat and reduces the itchiness and dryness of a dog’s skin. Also, it is hypoallergenic to dogs with sensitive skin, and the essential oil found in lemongrass is a natural astringent that helps to lessen inflammation.
Lastly, this shampoo is vet-approved.
- Brand: 4Legger
- Coconut & lemongrass
- Cedar & peppermint
- Lavender & oatmeal
- Material type free: Toxic-free, synthetic chemical-free, soap-free
- It has an unscented option for GSD owners who do not like scents.
- Some Amazon customers find it cheaper than other dog shampoos.
- Some Amazon customers claim its scent fades off quickly after drying off their dog.
- Others claim that it is more expensive than other dog shampoos.
Burt's Bees for Dogs Oatmeal Dog Shampoo: Best for Soothing and Softening Skin and Coat
About This Product
If your GSD has dry skin and coat, use Burt’s Bees for Pets Oatmeal Dog Shampoo to clean, soothe, soften, and condition the skin. It is the best shampoo for a German Shepherd puppy because it contains 97% natural ingredients. So, it is gentle and safe for puppies. Also, it has the following beneficial ingredients:
- Honey that helps maintain and regulate moisture in your dog’s hair follicles.
- Colloidal oat flour that helps deeply condition their skin.
- Camelia sinensis (green tea) extract, which helps strengthen their hair follicles.
- Buttermilk that softens and soothes your dog’s sensitive skin.
This dog shampoo lathers easily, which simplifies and expedites bath time. So, you won’t need to use much of it to get a good wash—a little goes a long way.
Additionally, it is a gentle, pH-balanced shampoo, making it one of the best shampoos for German Shepherd puppies and dogs at all life stages. Finally, it does not contain harsh chemicals, including petroleum.
- Brand: BURT’S BEES for Dogs
- Scent: Unscented
- Material type free: Sulfate-free, phthalate-free, colorant-free
- It produces a light lather, making rinsing it easy.
- Some Amazon customers claim it caused welts on their dog’s skin.
Vet's Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo: Best for Managing Allergies
About This Product
Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo is a calming, all-natural solution for dogs with itchy skin from allergies or sensitivity. It washes away allergens that attach to your dog’s coat and fur. Additionally, its maker is a number one selling Natural Flea and Tick Company, according to the 2022 Nielsen data.
This dog shampoo also has veterinary-formulated essential oils and natural elements, including oatmeal, tea tree oil, and d-limonene. They assist in clearing skin clogging and general dirt so your pet has spa-like freshness.
Lastly, you can use this veterinarian-formulated shampoo with topical flea and tick repellents.
- Brand: Vet’s Best
- Material type free: Paraben-free, artificial color-free
- It has a moisturizing effect and does not leave your dog’s skin dry, regardless of how many baths you give the dog.
- Some Amazon customers claim it is ineffective in relieving allergy symptoms in their dogs, especially sores.
HyLyt Soap-Free Cleansing and Moisturizing Shampoo: Best for Supporting Skin and Coat Health
About This Product
HyLyt Soap-Free Cleansing and Moisturizing Shampoo is a mild, soap-free, hypoallergenic solution for regular dog skin and coat cleaning and moisturizing. It contains humectants, emollients, and fatty acids to support your dog’s skin and coat health.
This thick-lathering formula’s essential fatty acids help to moisturize sensitive, dry, or flaky skin. Additionally, it does not strip the skin’s natural protective oils, which might leave a pet’s coat feeling dry and itchy. Lastly, it can wash off allergens attached to your dog’s skin and coat.
- Brand: Elanco
- Material type free: Soap-free
- Some Amazon customers claim it can support the natural filling back of your dog’s coat if it suffers from hair loss due to irritation and dryness.
- According to some Amazon customers, it is more expensive than other dog shampoos.
TropiClean 2-in-1 Papaya & Coconut Dog Shampoo and Conditioner: Best Two-in-One Dog Shampoo
Amazon’s Choice in Dog Shampoos Plus Conditioners by TropiClean
About This Product
The TropiClean 2-in-1 Papaya & Coconut Dog Shampoo and Conditioner is a two-in-one solution for dogs that removes dirt and debris from the coat. Also, it conditions your dog’s coat, making brushing easy.
This pleasant-smelling dog shampoo also hydrates your dog’s skin and coat and eliminates odors. This German Shepherd shampoo and conditioner features all-natural ingredients like coconut and vitamin E for a silky soft coat. Also, it is cruelty-free, pH-balanced, and soap-free. Lastly, it is ideal for adult dogs.
- Brand: TropiClean
- Papaya and coconut
- Aloe and coconut
- Awapuhi and coconut
- Berry and coconut
- Neem and citrus
- Kiwi and cocoa butter
- Oatmeal and tea tree
- Material type free: Paraben and dye-free
- Some Amazon customers claim it can stop shedding.
- Others claim it has a mild scent that appeals to GSD owners who dislike strong-scented dog shampoos.
- Some Amazon customers claim it cannot remove orange mud from their dogs’ fur.
- Others claim that it can cause itchiness in their dogs.
Buddy Biscuits Wash 2-in-1 Shampoo for Dogs: Best for Regular Grooming
About This Product
The Buddy Biscuits Wash 2-in-1 Shampoo for Dogs contains natural ingredients. Your dog will be soft, fluffy, and smell wonderful with just one application of this simple, safe, and friendly dog grooming formula.
This shampoo’s herb and plant extracts, including rosemary, mint, sage, and tea tree oil, help clean and hydrate your GSD’s skin and coat. Additionally, its aloe vera, coconut oil, and vitamin E nourish skin and leave your dog’s coat feeling silky smooth.
- Brand: Buddy Biscuits
- Scent: Lavender and mint, rosemary and mint
- According to some Amazon customers, it leaves a scent lasting up to four days on a dog’s coat.
- Some Amazon customers complain that it does not lather quickly because it is too thick.
Your GSD Shampoo Shopping Guide
Despite being huge, heavy shedders with a thick double coat, German Shepherds do not require special shampoos or washing techniques. In light of this, there are a few crucial elements to consider when selecting the best shampoo for them, as follows:
Often, dog shampoo producers use the word “all-natural” to characterize their products. This marketing gimmick aims to make their product look better than shampoos with chemicals. However, it’s a little deceptive as not all products with chemicals are harmful, and not all-natural ingredients are always safe.
Notably, natural components are preferable—that is, if they are safe. Also, a shampoo made entirely of natural ingredients is great, but “chemicals” are also useful. In technical terms, a chemical ingredient can be any prepared or extracted material; essential oils appear in this category.
However, some “natural” components can trigger severe allergic reactions in dogs. To complicate matters, some of these natural ingredients are contaminated or sourced improperly. Because of this, it’s critical to carefully review the ingredient list rather than relying on the product’s “all-natural” claim.
We advise starting with a tiny area of your dog to test a small amount of shampoo. After using the shampoo in part with exposed skin and hair, give it a full day to ensure there isn’t an adverse response. Afterward, using the shampoo is okay if you do not spot redness, irritation, and dandruff.
Ingredients to Avoid
Some ingredients indicate that a dog’s shampoo is not as “all-natural” or non-toxic as the maker may have claimed. That said, it’s advisable to steer clear of dog shampoo entirely if any of the following ingredients appear on the label:
- Sodium lauryl sulfate/detergent
- Sodium laureth sulfate/mild detergent
- Artificial fragrances/synthetic scents
- Artificial colors/dyes
Now that you know the ingredients to avoid, here are some helpful dog shampoo ingredients that can improve your dog’s skin and hair:
- Vitamin E
- Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
Additionally, safe essential plant oils like aloe vera and rosemary can all act as moisturizers to hydrate and scent your dog’s coat.
Dogs can accumulate dirt from being playful and eventually develop odors due to oils in their skin and coat buildup. If the shampoo you choose doesn’t address these issues, you won’t be happy with the results.
Not everybody likes perfumed products, and the scent is highly subjective. Some people find certain scents appealing, while others find them offensive. Therefore, the choice of the best scent depends on personal preference.
Notably, you can bathe your dog with a scented shampoo, but the scent can fade after the dog’s coat dries off. However, there are dog shampoos with a lasting scent. This is a positive aspect for some GSD owners.
So, always go for an unscented dog shampoo if you usually dislike the smell of shampoos.
A GSD Shampoo Comparison Infographic
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Human Shampoo on My German Shepherd?
No, never bathe your German Shepherd using human shampoo. Notably, the pH balance of the human shampoos is different and unsuitable for a dog’s skin. So, this improper pH balance can make your dog’s fur dry, brittle, and dull. It can also ruin the skin glands that generate the coat’s natural oils.
Humans typically require a pH between 5.2 to 6.2, which is acidic. On the other hand, the ideal pH range for a German Shepherd’s skin is 5.5 to 7.5.
That’s a Wrap
Choosing the best shampoo for your German Shepherd can easily become daunting because so many options are available on the market these days. Everyone wants the best for their pets, and one key factor to consider is using a natural, non-toxic shampoo.
If you need help regarding the best shampoo for your GSD, go for Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo, our best pick.
This shampoo contains veterinary-grade chemicals, is compatible with topical flea and tick treatments, and is paraben, dye, and soap-free.
|1||TropiClean Perfect Fur Dog Shampoo for Shedding…||$15.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Healthy Breeds German Shepherd Chamomile Soothing…||$11.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Healthy Breeds German Shepherd Deodorizing Shampoo…||$16.24||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Healthy Breeds German Shepherd Tearless Puppy Dog…||$12.99||Buy on Amazon|
|5||Healthy Breeds German Shepherd Tea Tree Oil…||$11.99||Buy on Amazon|