Have Dog Hair on my Clothes. What Now?
Have you ever wondered how to get dog hair out of clothes? Any dog owner, groomer, or vet must have this worry. Sometimes you will find dog hair stuck on your clothes or blankets and wonder what to do. Don’t worry because, in this article, we will look at ways of removing pet hair from clothes. Read on to learn.
7 Ways to Get Dog Hair Out of Your Clothes
Discussed below are ways you can use to get dog hair out of your clothes:
Brush your pets frequently
One thing you need to understand is that before you have lots of hair, it builds up. To prevent the buildup, get special combs for brushing your pet. By doing this, you wouldn’t worry about how to get the hair out of your clothes. This is also how to get dog hair off clothes without a lint roller. So, brush your dog to get rid of the loose hair.
Cover your pet’s preferred sleeping area
You will find lots of hair where your pet loves sleeping. In this case, cover the place with a special blanket or sofa cover that is removable. Remember to brush off the hair from the covers or blankets before washing them.
Choose pet-friendly fabrics
The fabrics you choose for your dog matter a lot. Some materials attract hair from pets more than others. For instance, velour, velvet, corduroy have loose knits that will attract a lot of hair. Also, when you look at cotton and wool, they tend to attract more hair compared to synthetics.
On the other hand, materials like satin, shiny materials, and leather do not attract hair. So, what happens is that dog hair will always slip off from such fabrics. So, they are suitable for your dog.
Use a dryer
If you have clothes or bedding that is washable, don’t worry about removing pet hair. All you need is a dryer before you wash them. The action of the drum in the dryer will loosen the hair and pull it to the filter. With a dryer, dog hair will not cling to your clothes.
Removing pet hair from clothing should be a more straightforward thing when you have a vacuum. First, use a vacuum cleaner on a sofa that your pet loves. After that, it is best to use an excellent antistatic spray on the cleaned surface and a lint roller.
Use rubber gloves
Rubber gloves are great when it comes to how to get rid of dog hair on clothes. Use them to clean dog hair off clothes. What you need to do is wet the rubber gloves and then brush over the fabric’s surface. Rubbing will create static which will lift the dog’s hair. After that, dip your gloves in hot water, and the hair will come off. If you don’t have gloves, you can alternatively use gonzo sponges.
Use a wet mop or damp duster
With a wet mop or duster, you won’t worry about getting rid of pet hair in the house. Instead, run the mop on walls or boards, and it will pick hair as you move. For the floor, use a damp mop to pick up hair.
Tips on Dealing with Dog Hair Once and For All
Below are tips that will make you forget about dog hair on your clothes:
Pet hair dryer sheets
There are dryer sheets that are only meant to keep dog hair off clothes. They have antistatic properties to help rid excess hair. Before washing your clothes, wipe them with a sheet to remove the hair. Don’t go for just any sheet but only those meant for pet hair removal.
When doing your laundry using a washer and dryer, use fur zappers. They are doodads that collect and hold fur when doing laundry. The good thing about fur zappers is that they are reusable and can last a year. They are also the best for owners of pets with long hair.
Wool dryer balls
The wool dryer balls help to soften clothes hence loosening pet hair from a piece of fabric. Since dryer sheets are scented, wool dryer balls are an alternative for those sensitive to strong smells. Lay the wool balls within the laundry for effective hair removal.
Removing dog hair from clothes is so easy with lint rollers. It is advisable to use a lint roller to remove hair before putting your clothes in a washing machine.
You can always use tape to collect left-behind hair from clothes. The best tape to use is the simple scotch tape. Heavy-duty tape like duct tape is not good as it leaves residue on the surface.
Getting rid of pet hair once and for all will require you to bathe your pet regularly. Bathing helps alleviate excess hair that the dog would shed at a later date. Also, talk to your vet so that you get to know the best anti-shedding shampoo to use.
Why Does Dog Hair Stick on My Clothes?
There is dog hair on your clothes. But why does it stick on your clothes? Because pet hair always grips to fabric fibers. It even gets worse when you add water. The wet hair forms moist clumps that stick on the washer drum. They may even cause a clog in the drain.
How to Prevent Getting Dog Hair on Your Clothes
To prevent getting dog hair on your clothes:
- Reduce static cling on clothes. Do this by using antistatic spray on clothes. It helps to loosen hair; hence more effortless to use a lint roller or brush.
- Wash your pet’s bedding often.
- Use a liquid fabric softener when rinsing. You can also use a dryer sheet to get rid of dog hair in the dryer.
Preventing Dog Hair from Reaching Your Washing Machine
The only way to avoid dog hair in the washing machine is to ensure it doesn’t reach your clothes. All you need to do is groom your dog every day.
Get a good brush for brushing your pet. Also, sweep your house or vacuum it regularly to get rid of the hair. In the long run, you won’t have pet hair in your washing machine.
How to Dissolve Dog Hair in Your Dryer and Washing Machine
- To dissolve dog hair in your dryer and washing machine, use fur zappers and wool dryer balls. Fur zappers are purposefully for collecting hair when doing laundry using a washer or dryer. After various loads, rinse off your fur zapper.
- Wool dryer balls help to loosen pet hair, and they also prevent creases in your clothes. In addition, they help to soften your clothes and promote airflow in the dryer. All you need is to place the wool balls in your dryer together with your load, and the hair will be out.
Dealing with Dog Smell on Your Clothes
You may wonder why your clothes still smell like a dog even after washing. Your clothes may be smelling because of the hair that clung to the clothes. Below are some ways of getting rid of the smell:
Remove the hair that got stuck in the cloth. This you will do by using a lint roller that will collect all the excess hair. After removing the hair, your clothes will no longer have a canine smell.
Lemon juice is a concentrated cleaner. It gets rid of smells from clothing. Mix a half cup of lemon juice with a half cup of water and mix. Add the mixture to your washing machine or water for cleaning clothes. The lemon juice will leave the clothes with a good scent. However, it would help if you were careful when dealing with dark clothes: lemon juice contains bleaching properties that may destroy dark garments.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar neutralizes and removes smells. Add a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar in the compartment with washing detergent. If you don’t have a washing machine, pour the apple cider vinegar in water in a container.
Bicarbonate of Soda
Bicarbonate is a traditional way of neutralizing nasty smells. It also helps in keeping clothes soft and with a good smell. The foul odor from your dog will disappear instantly after using bicarbonate. It is also suitable for people with allergies or sensitive skin. Add a tablespoon of bicarbonate in the water or drawer of your washing machine.
Dog Hair Removal Products You Need Now
Below, we delve into some of the dog hair removal products that you need to have:
Amazon’s Choice for “pet hair remover.”
The Chom Chom Roller dog hair remover is one of the best pet hair removers in the world. With it, you need to move it back and forth, and it will pick hair. It is also good because you will not need sticky tape or adhesives.
- Easy to remove your pet’s hair from beds, couches, blankets, and many more.
- It is reusable. You can use it over and over again.
- Easy to clean. It has a dust receptacle that collects lint and hair. You need to remove empty the compartment after use.
- It uses short back and forth strokes making it easy to capture hair. No power source or batteries are required.
- It is strong hence lasts for long.
Pet Grooming Glove – Gentle Deshedding Brush Glove – Efficient Pet Hair Remover Mitt – Enhanced Five Finger Design – Perfect for Dog & Cat with Long & Short Fur – 1 Pair
Amazon’s Choice for “Pet Grooming Gloves.”
This is a great tool that you cannot afford to miss. With it, you need to swipe your dog’s coat, and bam! The air is stuck to one of the gloves!
- It comes with two gloves, making it remove fur twice as fast as other products.
- It is small, making it convenient when it comes to traveling. In addition, you can go anywhere with it since it is portable.
- You can use it on various things like upholstered furniture, carpet linens, clothing, pillows, car seats, and many more.
DELOMO Pet Hair Remover Roller – Dog & Cat Fur Remover with Self-Cleaning Base – Efficient Animal Hair Removal Tool – Perfect for Furniture, Couch, Carpet, Car Seat
Amazon’s Choice for “Pet Hair Remover for Couch.”
It is a mini pet hair remover that cleans many areas. It is a good tool for embedded short, straight, and wiry pet hair. The best thing is that it is safe for all surfaces.
- It removes even the most stubborn pet hair that has been trapped for a long time.
- Suitable for cleaning carpets, clothes, comforters, cars, couches, and many more.
- It is easy to clean.
- Reusable hence used repeatedly.
- Easy to clean since you only need light soap and water.
- Strong making it last for long.
Pet Grooming Glove-Enhanced Five Finger Design-for Cats, Dogs and Horses-Long &Short Fur-Gentle Deshedding Brush-Your Pet Will Love It
The good thing about this pair of pet grooming gloves is that it has an enhanced five-finger design. So you use it by stroking your pet. Results will be significant since your pet will think you are petting it.
- Reduces shedding. With regular brushing, you will get rid of the undercoat, eliminating the nasty mats and knots.
- It has an adjustable wrist strap that secures gloves on the hands.
- Easy to clean. After cleaning, pull out the hair, and you will be set.
- Perfect for all furry animals, including goats, horses, rabbits, and many others.
- You can use it wet or dry when washing your pet with waterless shampoo or cleaning with detangling spray.
- The scrubbing nubs provide a soft skin massage that will leave your pet asking for more!
- The gloves will make your grooming routine easy and keep your pet looking attractive.
No matter how much you put into cleaning your house and clothes, you will always have a dog or any other pet’s hair in your home. Any healthy pet will always shed its coat. So, you are most likely to have pet hair on your clothes or house. However, you can always find ways to remove the hair.
Get the required removal products, and you will enjoy having your pet around. Some of the products can be found on Amazon. So, enjoy your time with your pet without worrying about the hair getting stuck on your clothes!